Prescription Charges for 18 year old students

Tariff Tips bookmark icon off

Prescription Charges for 18 year old students

Q. An 18 year old has presented a prescription for dispensing, they have finished school and are not starting University until October, should they pay a prescription charge? 

A. Children 16, 17 and 18 in full time education are entitled to free prescriptions. 

If they have left one type of education, such as college, but plan on continuing in full time education somewhere else, such as university, they will be entitled to free NHS prescriptions during the break as long as they have a letter offering a place for the following term. 

Pharmacy teams should ask to see the university placement letter as evidence of being in full-time education and exempt from prescription charges. 

Once a student turns 19 they are no longer automatically entitled to free prescriptions and should apply for help with healthcare costs by completing form HC1. 

For further information regarding help with health costs please refer to the NHS HC11 Guide

If you have any questions about this particular tip or any other drug tariff query you can call Information Services on 0800 783 5709.

Tariff Tip written by Sue Swift, UK Drug Tariff and Information Technician

Copy Link

Tariff Tips